How to get up and running quickly with iSTAR
NCTech Limited makes no warranty, either express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, regarding iSTAR 360 degree imaging device.
In no event shall NCTech Limited be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the purchase or use of the iSTAR 360 degree imaging device.
The sole and exclusive liability to NCTech Limited regardless of the form of action, shall not exceed the purchase price of the materials described herein.
The information contained in this manual is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment on the part of NCTech Limited.
Acceptance of this document by the customer constitutes acknowledgment that if any inconsistency exists between the English and non-English versions, the English version takes precedence.
This imaging camera is a precision instrument. Do not subject to physical shock. Do not adjust or tamper with the camera lenses. Care should be taken not to touch the camera lenses with your fingers. The lenses can be cleaned with the provided lens cloth.
This manual has been designed as a Quick Start Guide. The full User Manual can be viewed online here.
Installing the Battery
For safety reasons, the battery is shipped with a very low charge and will need to be charged prior to using the camera. It is recommended to charge the battery for 3 hours.
- Place the camera touch screen down on a solid surface and unscrew the battery cover using the supplied tool and slide open the battery cover
- Lower the battery into the camera and connect the wire to the camera socket
- Slide on the battery cover taking care not to trap the wires
- Screw the battery cover down
Charging the Battery
- Connect the DC power supply to the camera and switch on at the mains plug socket
- When the power cable is attached and power supplied, an audible ‘beep’ will be heard
- The battery will charge whether the camera is on or off
Note: iSTAR can be switched on and used while the battery is charging.
Turning on the Camera
- Ensure the camera has power via mains or charged battery installed
- Turn the camera on by sliding the on/off switch (step 1)
- Position the camera so that the NCTech logo is pointing towards you
- To start the camera, tap the four corners of the screen in the order of 1 to 4 (step 2)
- An audible beep will be heard
- The iSTAR logo will appear on screen for 15 seconds (approx) as the camera boots up
- The iSTAR menu will appear and the camera is now ready for operation
Capturing an Image
To capture an image, select the camera icon from the main menu.
You can then select a capture mode and adjust the settings before you begin capture. Images can be captured to either an SD card or USB stick
Capture Options Screen
The Capture options screen displays the 4 capture modes:
- Time Lapse
- Walk Around
Time lapse mode will be greyed out if you have a Fusion Lite license.
This mode allows you to remove yourself from the scene and out of the image before capture begins.
You can set your delay time and adjust other settings (HDR, ISO, Exposure) as required.
Time Lapse Mode
This mode allows you to capture a series of images at specified intervals.
You can set HDR, ISO and the Exposure for the images before capture begins.
You can specify the interval between each photo, for example setting the time delay to 00:02:00 will capture an image every two minutes.
Walk Around Mode
Capturing in this mode allows you to remain with the camera whilst not appearing in the captured image.
You can set HDR, ISO and the Exposure for the image before capture begins.
To capture, touch one of the corner arrows on the screen and stand approximately 1ft back from the camera at that corner.
Once the first capture is complete, move around the camera, stand at the corner with the arrow and press the arrow to complete the full capture.
Once the image has been captured, iSTAR will begin to process and at this point it is safe to move the camera to the next location or to remove it from the tripod.
Live View Mode
This mode provides a live view of the scene from the camera.
To adjust or view the Settings, select the GEAR icon from the main menu.
There are 6 different types of settings within the setting menu:
- General Settings
- Display Settings
- Date and Time Settings
- Capture Settings
- Ethernet Settings
- Wifi Settings
Audio, Calibrate Tilt and Compass, Maintenance, iSTAR Info
Backlight timeout, Power off delay
Image Format, White Balance
DHCP(Server), DHCP(Client), Manual, Disabled
Time & Date Settings
Set time, Set date
Wifi mode, SSID, Password, IP settings
To view your captured images, select the Image Review icon from the main menu.
The left and right arrows can be used to cycle through your saved images.
Select an image to view the image number and capture settings used.
If you experience problems, your iSTAR will be equipped with either an On/Off switch or Reset button to allow you to shutdown.
Using the On/Off switch
- Locate the On/Off switch on the rear of the camera behind the rubber port panel
- To switch off, slide the switch and wait for 10 seconds before switching the unit back on
Using the Reset Button
- Locate the Reset button on the rear of the camera behind the rubber port panel
- Press a pointed object through the hole until you hear a long audible beep. On hearing the beep, release the button
- You will hear a 2nd audible beep and the iSTAR logo will flash on screen confirming the camera has shut down successfully
- Tap the 4 corners of the touch screen to start up the camera
- If the reset does not solve the issue then disconnect and reconnect the battery
Do not put the camera in its protective case when switched on. This will create excessive heat as the foam acts as an insulator. Damage from misuse in this way may not be covered by warranty.
iSTAR is shipped with the following equipment:
- AC power cable supply unit with cable
- PowerBlock battery
- SD memory card and memory card case
- Lens cleaning cloth
- iSTAR Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
If you have purchased iSTAR for RGB overlay for LiDAR scanning, your iSTAR will ship with the required adapter spacer rods.
Recommended optional equipment:
- Quick Release for convenient mounting of iSTAR
- Spare battery
- 12v External battery
- Peli transport case
iSTAR Dimensions and Weight:
- Height 110mm x Width 104mm
- Weight: Approximately 1.4kg
- 12v mains power adapter, 2.1mm jack.
- Rechargeable battery, lithium ion 7.4v 5200mAh.
- The iSTAR battery lasts for around 6 hours during normal activity, subject to operational use.
NCTech is dedicated to providing the best possible customer support experience in Immersive Reality Imaging Systems.
To reach NCTech Customer Support, visit support.nctechimaging.com
iSTAR’s Firmware can be upgraded via a remote firmware update. Updates will include improvements to the UI and operational functions and new features.